- General Assistance (local welfare) to qualified, low-income individuals for their basic needs. This program is administered through the Township Supervisor’s office. Township caseworkers review eligibility criteria including financial and non-financial requirements. General assistance recipients must be residents of the township and citizens or legal residents of the U.S.
- Assessment of all real estate parcels within township boundaries for property tax purposes. The elected Township Assessor and staff of deputy assessors review and determine assessed valuations for more than 39,000 residential, commercial, industrial and farm parcels within Aurora Township’s boundaries and maintains an online database of all property within Aurora Township.
- Maintenance of roads and bridges in the unincorporated areas of the township, including snowplowing, maintenance of pavements, drainage culverts, surface repair and road rebuilds for approximately 42 lane miles of roads and streets in the unincorporated areas of the township. The elected Township Highway Commissioner is in charge of this office, which is also known as the Aurora Township Road District or Highway Department.
Providing residents with human service and community advocacy programs since 1849
Aurora Township goes beyond the minimum mandated services by providing senior and youth services for township residents. These include:
- Youth Services: We have a full time youth activity center with after-school programs, as well as summer programs. Our youth services staff also provides outreach and mentoring programs in the local grade schools, middle schools and high schools for youth.
- Senior Services: Aurora Township is a major provider of paratransit and public transportation for senior and disabled citizens through its Ride-In-Kane program. Through a partnership with PACE, the suburban transit agency, the township provides more than 30,000 rides per year, with a priority for medical appointments and dialysis, on 7 full-time routes operating PACE lift-equipped buses.
Aurora Township is seeking applicants to fill the remaining term of former Aurora Township Clerk Reginald N. Campbell, who was appointed an Associate Judge in the 16th Judicial Circuit earlier this month. The Township Clerk is clerk of the town board of trustees and is official keeper of all records except for active General and Emergency Assistance cases. The Clerk is required to keep accurate records of all Town Board meetings and also serves as ex-oficio clerk of the Road District. The clerk must be present for bid openings for both the township and road district. By state law, candidates to fill this vacancy must be a registered Democrat living in Aurora Township. Persons are considered a “registered Democrat”...
Aurora Township’s main office, Assessor’s office and Youth Center will remain closed to the public due to the COVID-19 outbreak until further notice. In addition, the VNA shuttle service has been suspended. Ride-in-Kane paratransit service will continue (although demand is low at the moment), but no new registrations will be taken. Office staff have been working remotely and checking voicemail and email during normal business hours. The Supervisor’s office can be reached at 630-897-8777. The Assessor’s office can be reached at 630-896-7792. We apologize for the inconvenience but are taking these measures out of an abundance of...
Aurora Township is accepting applications from not-for-profit organizations and units of local government seeking $477,000 in funds for programs that benefit senior citizens. The funds are available through Aurora Township as a result of the successful March 2018 senior services referendum, said Aurora Township Supervisor Bill Catching. “We look forward to supporting organizations that will allow older adults in Aurora Township to remain independent as long as possible,” Catching said. “The referendum’s supporters made a clear and compelling case that more funds need to be available locally to support such programs.” Earlier this year, the Township Board appointed an unpaid advisory commission to make recommendations to the board on the new senior citizen funds. Applications are due by Friday...