- General Assistance (local welfare) to qualified, low-income individuals for their basic needs. This program is administered through the Township Supervisor’s office. Township caseworkers review eligibility criteria including financial and non-financial requirements. General assistance recipients must be residents of the township and citizens or legal residents of the U.S.
- Assessment of all real estate parcels within township boundaries for property tax purposes. The elected Township Assessor and staff of deputy assessors review and determine assessed valuations for more than 39,000 residential, commercial, industrial and farm parcels within Aurora Township’s boundaries and maintains an online database of all property within Aurora Township.
- Maintenance of roads and bridges in the unincorporated areas of the township, including snowplowing, maintenance of pavements, drainage culverts, surface repair and road rebuilds for approximately 42 lane miles of roads and streets in the unincorporated areas of the township. The elected Township Highway Commissioner is in charge of this office, which is also known as the Aurora Township Road District or Highway Department.
Providing residents with human service and community advocacy programs since 1849
Aurora Township goes beyond the minimum mandated services by providing senior and youth services for township residents. These include:
- Youth Services: We have a full time youth activity center with after-school programs, as well as summer programs. Our youth services staff also provides outreach and mentoring programs in the local grade schools, middle schools and high schools for youth.
- Senior Services: Aurora Township is a major provider of paratransit and public transportation for senior and disabled citizens through its Ride-In-Kane program. Through a partnership with PACE, the suburban transit agency, the township provides more than 30,000 rides per year, with a priority for medical appointments and dialysis, on 7 full-time routes operating PACE lift-equipped buses.
The Aurora Township Board of Trustees will hold a special meeting at 1 p.m. Friday May 8 at the main office, 80 N. Broadway, Aurora. The sole purpose of the meeting is to approve a bill to Midwest Sports Design of Chicago to install multipurpose modular flooring in the gymnasium of the Aurora Township Youth Center, 313 Gale Street. At their regular meeting on April 30, the Town Board approved the low bid of $26,616 from Midwest Sports Design of Chicago for the new flooring. The contractor required half of the contract amount as a deposit to order the new flooring. To avoid delays on the project, a special board meeting was called rather than waiting until the next regular...
U.S. Rep. Bill Foster recognized Aurora Township for rejecting Illinois Governor Bruce Rauner’s resolution to create “right-to-work” zones in a speech yesterday on the floor of Congress. The Aurora Township Board voted unanimously at their April 14 meeting against a model resolution proposed by Gov. Rauner that laid out his “Turnaround Agenda.” The board objected strongly to creating local “right-to-work” zones, eliminating prevailing wage on public works projects and undermining public employee bargaining rights, said Aurora Township Supervisor Bill Catching. “We recognize that the State of Illinois is facing serious financial problems,” Catching said. “A broad attack on the collective bargaining rights of workers is not the answer. “We appreciate Rep. Foster’s recognition in his remarks yesterday and applaud...
Local Municipal Warming Centers Aurora Aurora Salvation Army; 437 E. Galena Blvd. – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday-Friday Prisco Community Center; 150 W. Illinois Ave; 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday Aurora Public Library Main Branch; 1 E. Benton St; 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Friday-Saturday Eola Road Branch; 555 S. Eola Rd; 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Friday-Saturday West Branch; 233 S. Constitution Drive; 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Friday-Saturday State of Illinois Facility, 361 Old Indian Trail Road, 8:30 a.m. – 5...