The Township serves approximately 150,000 residents residing in its boundaries of (roughly) Orchard Road to the west, Route 56 to the north, Eola Road to the east, and Route 30 to the south. By law, Illinois townships must provide three basic functions: general assistance, property appraisal for local taxation purposes, and maintenance of all roads and bridges outside of federal, state, and other local jurisdiction. Aurora Township provides these services and much more.
Any person requesting records of Aurora Township may make such a request either in person or in writing at 80 N. Broadway, Aurora, IL 60506. FOIA requests may also be submitted via e-mail. Please use the following e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org. Another method to make a FOIA request is to fax it to (630) 897-8393 specifying in particular the records requested to be disclosed and copied. All requests must be in writing and should be addressed to the FOIA Officer at the address above. If you desire that any records be certified, you must indicate that in your request and specify which records must be certified.
The fees for any such records, if the person requesting the records wishes them to be copied, are as follows:
- First 50 pages, black and white, letter or legal size copies, no cost.
- Additional pages, black and white, letter or legal, actual cost to $0.15.
- Electronic records will be formatted subject to reimbursement for costs of recording medium.
- Color copies or copies in a size other than letter or legal shall be reimbursed to actual costs.
- Costs of certifying a record will be $1.00.
Records may be furnished without charge or at a reduced charge, as determined by the Township, if the person requesting the documents states the specific purpose for the request and indicates that a waiver or reduction of the fee is in the public interest. Waiver or reduction of the fee is in the public interest if the principal purpose of the request is to access and disseminate information regarding the health, safety and welfare or the legal rights of the general public and is not for the principal purpose of personal or commercial benefit.
Pursuant to Section 3.5 of FOIA, the FOIA Officer have designated the following documents or categories of records that shall be immediately disclosed to the public upon request:
- Resolutions and Ordinances maintained in printed form
- Approved Open Meeting Minutes
- Budget & Appropriation Ordinance
Supervisor William Catching
80 N. Broadway
Aurora, IL 60505
Office: (630) 897-8777
Fax: (630) 897-8393
Role of the Township
The township consists of both elected officials and staff. The Township Supervisor, Highway Commissioner, and Property Assessor are elected positions, individually responsible for their departments and budgets. These positions are accountable to the Township Board of Trustees. Four elected Trustees and the Supervisor make up the board with the Supervisor serving as chairman. The Township Supervisor, Highway Commissioner, and Property Assessor each manage a staff of employees to help carry out the duties and services of their offices.
In addition to providing the basic functions of township government, Aurora Township offers many programs for youth and seniors and enforces ordinances within its jurisdiction.
The Illinois Constitution of 1848 gave voters in each county the opportunity to adopt township form of government. Kane County was one of the early counties to adopt the township form of government and Aurora Township was duly created in 1850.
On April 2, 1850, Russell C. Mix was elected as the first Aurora Township Supervisor; H.F. Kingsbury, Town Clerk; W.V. Plum, Assessor; I.T. Bevier, Poormaster; S. Richardson, I.M. Howell and John Douglas, Commissioners of Highways; John King and W.R. King, Justices of the Peace; C. Pinney and W.D. King, Constables. W.D. King was also elected Collector.
Unlike many townships in Illinois, Aurora Township was not the first local form of government. At an election held March 6, 1845, fifty-two votes were cast in favor of incorporating the village of East Aurora. The Village of West Aurora later followed suit in 1854. The two villages (pop. 7,000) were combined in 1857 thanks to the Illinois legislature, although the two sides remained rivals. When the two towns first united, they agreed on Stolp Island on the Fox River as a ‘neutral’ site for City Hall. Russell C. Mix, the first Township Supervisor, was elected as alderman in the first election for the new City of Aurora. He later served as Postmaster of Aurora.
During its early history, the Fox River served as a great attraction for manufacturers its abundant water power. Later, the railroad was a driving force in the growth of industry and the township. The current township building at 80 N. Broadway is located just south of the former American Well Works plant and is a short distance from the former Chicago Burlington & Quincy roundhouse and repair shops. The township, which had formerly leased space from the City of Aurora at City Hall, purchased its current office in the early 1970s. The Youth Center at 313 Gale Street was purchased from the Aurora YMCA at about the same time.