Skip to main content

Voter Registration

To become a registered voter in Illinois you must be:

  • A United States Citizen;
  • 18 years of age or older by the date of the next election;
  • A resident of your precinct for 30 days prior to the date of the next election.


When registering, you must present two forms of identification, one of which includes your present address. This can be a driver’s license, state I.D., social security card, credit card, library card, personal check, utility bill, etc.

When and Where To Register

Registration is open year-round except during the 27-day period prior to an election and during the 2-day period after each election (one day after the election in Chicago).

You may register at the Kane County Clerk’s Office, located at 719 S. Batavia Ave., Bldg. B, in Geneva, IL (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri: 8:30am-4:30pm – Wed: 8:30am-8:00pm), at the Aurora Public Library; (main branch only) during regular business hours or any other town’s public library in the area, at any IL Secretary of State’s License facility during regular business hours, at the township’s Youth and Community Center, located at 313 Gale St., various other government agencies, or the Township’s main office at 80 N. Broadway in Aurora. Many local schools also have Voter Registrars on staff. Additionally, mail-in registration forms are also available at most of these agencies and offices. If you wish, you can download the mail-in registration form here and mail it to your local County Clerk’s office.

Name Change

If you change your name, you must re-register in order to be eligible to vote.

Change of Address

If you move prior to an election, you must notify the Election Authority through which you are registered. If your move is within the same jurisdiction as your previous registration, simply fill out and sign the back of your current voter registration card and mail it to the address indicated on it. A new card will be sent to your current address. If your card is missing, you can send a letter specifying both your old and your new address–such a letter should be signed and dated. If you call the Authority, you may also request a Registration transfer form. If you move to a new jurisdiction, you must submit a new voter registration form that will be available at any of the resources noted above. Please be aware that all changes of address must be received no later than midnight 27 days prior to any election.

If a voter has moved to a different address more than 27 days before the election, they may not vote unless they have transferred their registration. If federal offices are running, they may vote for federal offices only.

If a voter has moved within 27 days before an election, they may vote in-person at their old polling place where they were previously registered and must fill out the proper affidavit before voting.

Naturalized Citizens

If you were not born in the United States and not born of U.S. parents, you are not eligible to vote until you have become a naturalized citizen. Naturalized citizens must provide the following information: Name (U.S. District) and location (City and State) of the Court where you were naturalized, plus the day, month and year of your naturalization.

Additional Voter Information

More information from the Illinois State Board of Elections may be found here.

Back to top