Aurora Township owns and maintains a cemetery near the intersection of Montgomery and Douglas roads adjacent to St. Paul’s Lutheran Cemetery. The Township Cemetery was used over the years as a potter’s field with the earliest burial in 1904 and the most recent burial in 1979.
Currently, the cemetery is available for general assistance clients. In the distant past, it was used for burials of indigent people. A total of 219 people are buried in the cemetery, according to our records.
In 2008, Mary Ann Pirone, a genealogy and local history specialist at the Aurora Public Library, researched obituaries for the people buried in the Aurora Township Cemetery. We are grateful for the work of Ms. Pirone, who is now retired, and have added links for individuals on whom she could find information in the Aurora Beacon-News.